January 14, 2023
A root canal in Lima is normally used to save a tooth if it has become inflamed, infected, severely damaged or has a high level of sensitivity. Sensitivity can occur for different reasons and is often caused by a deep cavity that has reached the conducts of the tooth or an abscess at the base of the root.
Inside the tooth, under the white enamel and a hard layer called the dentin, is a soft tissue called the pulp. The pulp contains blood vessels, nerves, and connective tissue which is what causes discomfort once the tooth becomes infected or damaged.
Firstly, we’ll make sure our diagnosis is 100% accurate with 3D x-ray imaging
A root canal procedure takes away sensitivity, saves the tooth and restores the normal look, feel and biting surface so you can chew as normal.
Root Canal in Lima – How Does it Work?
After taking a high-resolution 3D or digital periapical x-ray, a root canal specialist follows these steps to treat the tooth:
- Anaesthesia is used to numb the area.
- In access point is made and tiny instruments are used to remove the inflamed or infected pulp.
- The root canal therapist carefully cleans the inside of the root canal.
- The tooth is then filled with a bio-compatible material and sealed, normally with a temporary restoration at this stage.
- Once the tooth shows improvement after about a week, you return to the clinic to have a new restoration placed, such as a crown.
Dra Sandra Bobbio is one of our specialists in root canal treatments in Lima, Peru
When a root canal is performed, it is important to know that the treated tooth requires additional strength. A post is usually placed inside the tooth to give extra support. This can be a titanium post (used in molars) or a fibre glass post (for anterior teeth).
Is the Procedure Uncomfortable?
Thankfully, root canal treatment isn’t what it used to be!
Nowadays, thanks to digital Apex Locator technology, 3D x-rays and high resolution digital periapical x-rays, root canal treatments are done painlessly and to the highest precision. Our dentist can also use expert oral sedation as a way to take away any anxiety or nerves you might have.
The final phase of treatment is to place a 3D CAD CAM crown or inlay in just one appointment. This completes treatment and saves the tooth.
What Else Should I Know?
After the first appointment, you will probably be told to take medication such as antibiotics. It is important to follow any advice you receive from the dentist and return for the second appointment as instructed in order to complete the treatment.
Root canal treatments have a high success rate. A treated and restored tooth can last a lifetime with proper care. This includes:
- Brushing and flossing at least twice a day
- Getting professional cleanings and check-ups at least every six months.
- Avoiding hard foods such as ice which can cause teeth to fracture and break.
SOUNDS GREAT?! CONTACT US.
For additional information or to schedule an appointment with one of our Specialists, please contact us. Leave us a message asking for a video call or a regular call, and we’ll be back with you shortly.
On the other hand, if you use WhatsApp, then this is safe, fast, and effective for rapid communication.