September 1, 2018
LASIK is the most successful and commonly performed laser eye surgery used to treat a number of eye conditions such as myopia (near-sightedness), hyperopia (far-sightedness) and also astigmatism.
Great News about LASIK!
LASIK laser eye surgery requires only topical anesthetic drops and no bandages or stitches are used.
Before LASIK Eye Surgery in Lima, Peru
Our specialist eye doctor will perform thorough exams and analysis to ensure your eyes are healthy enough for the procedure. He will evaluate the shape and thickness of your cornea; pupil size; refractive errors as well as any other eye conditions. If you wear contacts, you must be without these for 5 days prior to your consultation appointment.
How does LASIK work?
Like other types of refractive surgery, the LASIK procedure reshapes the cornea to enable light entering the eye to be correctly focused onto the retina for much better and clearer vision.
- Before your surgery begins, numbing eye drops are applied to your eye to prevent any discomfort during the procedure. A small tool is used to hold the eye open and steady. This is not uncomfortable as your eyes have already been numbed and you do not feel it.
- Then, the doctor uses a special tool to create a thin, circular flap in the cornea.
- The flap is carefully folded back to access the underlying cornea and remove some corneal tissue using the excimer laser.
- This highly specialized laser uses a cool ultraviolet light beam to remove microscopic amounts of tissue from the cornea to reshape it so it more accurately focuses light on the retina for improved vision.
- After the laser reshapes the cornea, the flap is then laid back in place, covering the area where the corneal tissue was removed. The cornea is allowed to heal naturally.
In the majority of cases, laser eye surgery is pain-free and completed within about 10 – 15 minutes for both eyes. Results can usually be seen in under 24 hours.
After LASIK Eye Surgery
You’ll need to rest after surgery and you may feel some slight discomfort or ‘graininess’ in the eyes but this normally passes in the following hours. You should stay in Lima for 14 days to allow time for follow-ups, checks and final discharge.
LASIK Long-Term Results
There is the possibility later that some people may need to use glasses for things like reading but overall, the results are typically life-changing and LASIK has very impressive success rates.