March 10, 2022
In Vitro Fertilization Lloyd|Drs Ascenzo Miraflores, Fertility Treatment in Lima, In Vitro Fertilization Lima Peru
Becoming a parent is one of the greatest aspirations of most people. However, not everyone achieves it due to certain factors. Thanks to the advancement of technology, there are a number of medical fertilization treatments available. One of the most succesful, tried and tested over many years, is in vitro fertilization.
WHAT IS IN VITRO FERTILIZATION?
Most importantly, in vitro fertilization is the combination of medications and a series of complex procedures focused on improving fertility and achieving the conception of a baby.
It consists of the union of the woman’s egg and the man’s sperm in a laboratory. This procedure is done outside the body and allows the sperm to attach to and enter the egg.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF IVF?
In vitro fertilization is a treatment to combat infertility. This procedure may be a good option if you and your partner have:
- Damage or obstruction in the fallopian tubes: it is one of the main reasons that makes it difficult to fertilize an egg and the path of the embryo to the uterus.
- Ovulation disorders: in this type of case there are fewer eggs available, which makes fertilization almost impossible.
- Endometriosis: when tissue similar to the lining of the uterus implants and grows outside the uterus. This affects the ovaries, uterus, and fallopian tubes.
- Uterine fibroids: these are frequent benign tumors in women between 30 and 40 years old, which interfere with the implantation of the fertilized egg.
- Unexplained infertility: Some patients simply do not achieve a natural pregnancy, and require help from our doctors.
Dr Alvaro Ascezo is our Specialist in Fertility & Gynecology
HOW IS IN VITRO FERTILIZATION PERFORMED?
- First, our specialist, Dr Ascenzo, will perform a series of tests to determine your current condition and the feasibility of the procedure. It is important to know that the success of IVF depends on a number of factors.
- Secondly, the ovaries are stimulated to produce more eggs, instead of just one as is normally the case. Several eggs are needed, as not all of them will be fertilized or develop normally. Once this is achieved, the ovules are extracted using a suction device.
- Thirdly, we proceed to obtain the sperm; It can be from the same father or from a donor.
- Fourth, fertilization can be started. There are two ways to do it: (i) conventional insemination where sperm and eggs are mixed and incubated overnight. (ii) through intracytoplasmic sperm injection, where a single sperm is injected directly into each egg.
- Finally, there is the transfer of embryos. A catheter will be introduced that reaches the cervix and the embryo will be placed with a syringe. Finally, if successful, the embryo will implant approximately 6 to 10 days after oocyte collection.
IMPORTANT: This entire procedure is done in cycles which can last from two to three weeks. Sometimes it is even necessary that more than one cycle is needed.
HOW SUCCESSFUL IS THE IVF PROCEDURE?
The success of in vitro fertilization can depend on several factors. For example, the age of the mother, the cause of infertility, the state of the embryo, the lifestyle of the parents, the reproductive history, among others.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I DON’T GET PREGNANT?
Subsequently, if you don’t get pregnant the first time then you will stop taking progesterone and you may have your period in about a week.
Above all, we recommend to continue treatment and keep trying IVF. Our specialist will suggest which steps to follow to increase your chances of getting pregnant through this procedure.